Mrs Yogini Rajoo
Please note that the decision can take up to 5 working days to be uploaded onto the HCPTS website. Please contact one of our Hearings Team Managers via email@example.com or +44 (0)808 164 3084 if you require any further information.
Between 1 November 2013 and 16 May 2014, during the course of your employment as a radiographer by Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust, you:
1. On 8 November 2013:
a. Behaved in an unprofessional manner when communicating with Patient A and Person A, in that you:
i. Demanded to see Person A's identification and/or demanded to be given Person A's name;
ii. Said to Person A 'Maybe I should just call you lucky' or words to that effect;
iii. Accused Person A of influencing Patient A's decision to refuse a trans-vaginal scan;
iv. Said to Person A 'she (Patient A) didn't seem confused to me! Maybe you just weren't listening' or words to that effect.
2. On 9 May 2014, spoke in a rude and/or unprofessional manner when communicating with Patient B and her family, in that you:
a. Said to Patient B's husband 'Why don't you use your common sense and stand over there' or words to that effect';
b. Said to Patient B '...now put your head down. Do you want me to do the scan or not' or words to that effect.
c. Said 'Stop this childish behaviour all three of you' or words to that effect.
3. On 15 May 2014, in relation to Patient C:
a. Spoke in a rude and/or unprofessional manner when communicating to Patient C and/or her Person C, in that you said 'You need a hearing aid if you can't hear people', or words to that effect.
b. Did not explain the procedure of the scan to Patient C and/or Person C.
4. The matters described in paragraphs 1-3 constitute misconduct and/or lack of competence.
5. By reason of your misconduct and/or lack of competence, your fitness to practise is impaired
9. Ms Rapu submitted that it was appropriate for the Panel to extend the current Order of Suspension, given that the Registrant’s fitness to practise remained impaired. She particularly brought to the attention of the Panel the fact that the Registrant has not engaged with the HCPC over the last six months and has ignored the recommendations of the previous Panel to provide the evidence of insight that it sought.
10. There were no representations from the Registrant herself.
11. There has been no material change since the Final Hearing and the Panel’s view is that the fitness to practise of the Registrant remains impaired. An Order is necessary for protection of the public and is in the wider public interest. As far as the appropriate sanction is concerned, the Panel gave serious consideration to replacing the current suspension with a Striking Off Order.
12. There has been no evidence whatsoever that the Registrant has gained any insight into her failures and no demonstrable progress has been made since October.
13. This Panel shares the view of the previous one that the Registrant has offered no apology for her conduct, nor shown any regret or remorse for her actions and their impact upon the relevant patients. Even now the Registrant has submitted no testimonials or references.
14. However, the misconduct that was found proved is remediable and thus, this Panel is prepared to offer the Registrant a further chance to demonstrate that she can make the requisite progress.
15. The decision of the Panel is that the appropriate and proportionate Order to impose is to extend the current period of suspension by six months.
16. Again, the Panel strongly recommends that the Registrant, before the next review, provides evidence of insight and remediation.
17. Evidence of reflective practice, relevant training and professional development and references (both personal and professional) will be welcomed.
The order imposed to today will apply on 22 May 2017.
This Order will be reviewed again before its expiry on 22 November 2017.
History of Hearings for Mrs Yogini Rajoo
|Date||Panel||Hearing type||Outcomes / Status|
|21/04/2017||Conduct and Competence Committee||Review Hearing||Suspended|
|24/10/2016||Conduct and Competence Committee||Final Hearing||Suspended|