Mrs Lesley J Welsh
Please note that the decision can take up to 5 working days to be uploaded onto the HCPTS website. Please contact one of our Hearings Team Managers via email@example.com or +44 (0)808 164 3084 if you require any further information.
While registered as an Operating Department Practitioner and employed with Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, you:
1. In relation to Patient A, on or around 28 March 2015, did not undertake a pre-operative instrument count with the circulating practitioner prior to Patient A's surgery.
2. In relation to Patient B, on or around 07 July 2015, you:
a) Left Patient B in the operating theatre while undergoing a perineal repair, and/or did not notify the appropriate person and/or team that you were leaving the theatre.
b) Inaccurately recorded Patient B’s details on the World Health Organisation (‘WHO’) checklist onto another patient's record.
And while registered as an Operating Department Practitioner and employed with Spire South
Bank Hospital on dates between 26 September 2016 and 07 April 2017:
3. You did not disclose that you were dismissed from your previous employment at Heart of
England NHS Foundation Trust.
4. You misrepresented yourself as having completed a nursing qualification and/or being a registered nurse.
5. On or around 06 February 2017 you:
a) did not undertake scrubbing duties for a General Laparoscopic list and/or a Gynaecological list;
b) did not demonstrate adequate circulating skills in that you:
i. had to be prompted to complete counts and instrument checks;
ii. had to be prompted to undertake tasks to assist with patient transfers and setting up for the procedure for patients;
iii. did not complete the care plans/ care pathways as required as part of your circulating duties.
a) did not complete and/or record adequate information in patient care plans/ care pathways despite being prompted to do so;
b) failed to recognise that a patient had an Endo Tracheal Tube and:
i. did not remove the patient’s Endo Tracheal Tube in a timely manner; and/or
ii. failed to alert the anaesthetist that you were not trained to remove an Endo Tracheal Tube to ensure its timely removal.
c) did not take appropriate steps in an emergency situation as was requested by Colleague 2;
d). did not take appropriate steps to assist with the management of a patient’s laryngospasm, while working with Colleague 3;
e) had to be prompted to provide a patient with oxygen as was required;
f) removed a patient’s dressings and pack:
i) before the ENT consultant had confirmed whether or not it was safe to do so; and/or
ii) failed to use sterile resources when attending to the patient’s wound;
g) did not adequately and/or correctly complete the catheterisation of patients on at least 3 occasions;
7. Your actions described in paragraphs 3 and 4 were dishonest.
8. Your actions in paragraphs 3, 4, and 7 amount to misconduct.
9. Your actions in paragraphs 1, 2, 5 and 6 amount to misconduct and/or lack of competence.
10. By reason of your misconduct and/or lack of competence, your fitness to practise is impaired.
No information currently available
No information currently available
Final Hearing of the Conduct and Competence Committee to take place at 405 Kennington Road, London from Monday 4 March – Monday 18 March 2019.
The hearing will begin at 10:00 hours on day 1 and at 9:30 hours on all subsequent days.
History of Hearings for Mrs Lesley J Welsh
|Date||Panel||Hearing type||Outcomes / Status|
|04/03/2019||Conduct and Competence Committee||Final Hearing||Hearing has not yet been held|