Mr Christopher Wood
Please note that the decision can take up to 5 working days to be uploaded onto the HCPTS website. Please contact one of our Hearings Team Managers via email@example.com or +44 (0)808 164 3084 if you require any further information.
The allegation referred to the Conduct and Competence Committee is as follows:
As a registered Paramedic (PA39412) your fitness to practise is impaired by reason of misconduct. In that:
1. On or around 7 May 2017 you attended on Patient A in a professional capacity and you knew at the time of the consultation, during the consultation and after the consultation that Patient A was vulnerable.
2. During the consultation with Patient A on or around 7 May 2017 you made inappropriate comments to Patient A, which included:
(a) Flirty comments whilst putting ECG pads on Patient A’s chest;
(b) Asking Patient A if she was on the pill, or words to that effect;
(c) Saying to Patient A “Our situation would be different if we had met in a pub”, or words that effect.
3. During the consultation with Patient A on 7 May 2017 you showed Patient A the Health and Care Professions Council website on your mobile telephone and told her that other paramedics had been struck off the register for having inappropriate relationships with patients and for behaving inappropriately towards patients and/or colleagues, or words to that effect.
4. During and/or after the consultation on or around 7 May 2017 you memorised and/or retained Patient A’s telephone number for your own personal use.
5. You breached professional boundaries in that you contacted Patient A via text and/or social media messages:
(a) between around 7 May 2017 and 30 May 2017;
(b) on or around 16 June 2017.
6. The messages described at particular 5(a) included:
(a) messages of an explicit and/or sexual nature;
(b) messages in which you offered and/or planned to meet with Patient A;
(c) messages in which you offered and/or planned to engage in sexual activity with Patient A.
7. During an investigation conducted by South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust, you:
(a) Attended an investigation interview on 29 June 2017 in which you:
(i) Suggested that Patient A was “usually the first one to text” and that you were “never the first to text”, or words to that effect;
(ii) Suggested that Patient A was the driver of communications;
(iii) Stated that Patient A invited you to return to her house on several occasions and that you sought to avoid this;
(iv) Said that your motives were to offer Patient A support and reassurance;
(v) Said that your replies to text messages from Patient A were out of kindness and politeness, or words to that effect.
(b) Provided a statement for the investigation in which you:
(i) Stated that the messages exchange with Patient A “moved from conversational and flirting as the days progressed” or words to that effect;
(ii) Stated that you had tried to avoid and/or steer away from inappropriate discussions with Patient A to platonic exchanges;
(c) Attended a disciplinary hearing on 21 August 2017 in which you suggested that you did not consider Patient A to be vulnerable.
8. The matters described in paragraphs 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 were sexually motivated.
9. The matters described in paragraph 7 were misleading and/or dishonest.
10. The matters set out in paragraphs 1 - 9 constitute misconduct.
11. By reason of your misconduct your fitness to practise is impaired.
No information currently available
No information currently available
No notes available
History of Hearings for Mr Christopher Wood
|Date||Panel||Hearing type||Outcomes / Status|
|21/06/2021||Conduct and Competence Committee||Final Hearing||Hearing has not yet been held|