By reason of your physical and/or mental health your fitness to practice as a Social Worker is impaired.
1. The Panel concluded that Notice of the hearing had been sent on 21 February 2017 by recorded delivery and first class post to the Registrant’s registered address, in accordance with the Rule 3 of the Health and Care Professions Council Procedure Rules 2003.
Proceeding in absence
2. Ms Ebanks submitted that the Panel should proceed in the absence of the Registrant. The Panel took account of the Legal Assessor’s advice. It was mindful that the discretion to proceed in the absence of the Registrant must be exercised with the utmost care and caution.
3. The Panel took account of a file note recording a telephone call between the HCPC and the Registrant’s Representative, Mr Vic Willis of UNISON, dated 13 February 2017, which stated:
“The Registrant will not be attending in person and does not wish to attend via tele/videoconference either. Mr Willis advised that he would also not be attending the hearing.”
4. The Panel concluded that the Registrant had absented herself from the hearing voluntarily. She had not requested an adjournment and the Panel had no reason to believe that an adjournment would result in her attendance. Having weighed the interests of the Registrant with the public interest that lay in an expeditious disposal of this hearing, the Panel determined to proceed in the Registrant’s absence.
Application for hearing to be heard in private
5. Ms Ebanks applied for the hearing to be heard in private on the basis that the allegation centred on the Registrant’s health. The Panel took note of the HCPC Practice Note on “Conducting Proceedings in Private” and accepted the advice of the Legal Assessor. The Panel decided that the hearing should be held in private in its entirety. The Registrant’s right to a private life outweighed the public interest in this instance. As such, this is a redacted public copy of the private decision.
The Registrar is directed to remove the name of Miss Sharon Wilson from the Register with immediate effect.
No notes available
History of Hearings for Sharon Wilson
|Date||Panel||Hearing type||Outcomes / Status|
|17/03/2017||Health Committee||Unknown||Voluntary Removal agreed|