The following allegation was considered by a panel of the GSCC Conduct Committee at the substantive hearing on 11-13 July 2011:
Whilst employed by North Somerset Council as a Supervising Social Worker in the Fostering Support Team and from April 2009 to 8 April 2010.
1. In relation to Child A, a “Looked After” child, for whom you were acting as the allocated Social Worker, you:
a. Arranged for an official interpreter, Sayed Shah, to make an unauthorised visit to the placement order home;
b. Arranged for gifts to be taken to the placement home by the interpreter Sayed Shah;
c. Gave Child A, a ‘Next’ Jumper, bought with your own money;
d. Did not claim the cost of the jumper from North Somerset Council;
e. Gave child A £20 in cash from your own money;
f. Did not claim this amount from North Somerset Council;
g. Made arrangements with child A to remove him from the placement home on 1 April 2010 so that he could spend that night and the following weekend at your address;
h. Informed the Foster Carer to remove child A from the placement home on 1 April, so that he could spend that night and the following weekend at your home address;
i.Informed the Foster Carer that your proposed removal of child A from the placement home on 1 April 2010 was, or would be authorized;
j. Did not obtain authorization for the removal of child A from the placement home on 1 April 2010;
k. Did not record any of the above contacts or arrangements in the case file of child A, either in paper format or electronically on the computer system ICS;
2. In relation to 1a), b), c), e), g), h) your conduct was inappropriate.
3. In relation to 1i) your conduct was:
4. In relation to child A, as the allocated Social Worker holding the case, you;
a. Did not complete any case recording on child A’s paper case file;
b. Did not complete any case recording on the computer system ICS, with the exception of a single email dated 10 March 2010.
c. Did not return to North Somerset Council confidential records held by you in relation to child A, when required to do so.
5. In relation to family A, for whom you were the supervising social worker, you:
a. Did not complete any case recording on family A’s paper case file.
b. Did not complete any case recording on the computer system ICS, with the exception of two records dated 27 October 2009 and 4 January 2010.
6. In relation to family B, for whom you were the supervising social worker, you:
a. Did not complete any case recording on family b’s paper case file;
b. Did not complete any case recording on the computer system ICS, with the exception of three records dated 18 and 19 March 2010.
7. In relation to families C,D,E,F,H,I,J,K,L and M, for whom you were the supervising social worker, you:
a) Did not complete any case recording on the family’s paper case file;
b) Did not complete any case recording on the computer system ICS.
8. In relation to families B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M you did not, as required of you as the Supervising Social Worker, complete Annual Review Reports to be made available to the Fostering Panel.
9. In relation to families A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M you did not return to North Somerset Council confidential records held by you in relation to those families, when required to do so.
10. Throughout the course of your employment by North Somerset Council you:
a) Were suffering from health difficulties;
b) These health difficulties affected your ability to carry out your duties/work competently and safely, and you;
c) Failed to bring these personal difficulties to the attention of your employer or appropriate authority.
1. The Panel was satisfied that Notice of today’s hearing had been properly served on the Registrant in terms of Rules 3 and 6 of the HCPC (Conduct and Competence Committee) (Procedure) Rules 2003 (the Rules) and thereafter considered the Registrant’s application to adjourn the hearing, which had been submitted in writing on 2 May 2017.
Proceeding in private
2. The Panel agreed to consider this application in private in terms of Rule 10(1)(a) of the Rules, as the application related to the Registrant’s health issues, having accepted the advice of the Legal Assessor and considered the HCPTS Practice Note on “Conducting Hearings in Private”. The Panel concluded that the right of the Registrant to protection of her private life and confidentiality of her health issues outweighed the general presumption of hearings being conducted in public. As such, this is a redacted public copy of the private decision.
The Panel directs the Registrar to extend the current Conditions of Practice Order for a period of 3 months from its expiry in terms of Article 30(1)(a) of the Health and Social Work Professions Order 2001.
The Registrar is directed to annotate the Register to show that, for 3 months from the expiry of the current Order, you, Mrs Amira Husain Alam, must comply with the following conditions of practice:
1. You must inform the following parties that your registration is subject to these conditions:
a. any organisation or person employing or contracting with you to undertake professional work;
b. any agency you are registered with or apply to be registered with (at the time of application); and
c. any prospective employer (at the time of your application).
2. You must promptly inform the HCPC if you cease to be employed by your current employer or take up any other or further employment.
3. You must work with a supervisor to formulate a Personal Development Plan designed to update your knowledge and training in Social Work including but not limited to professional boundaries and record keeping.
4. You must forward a copy of the Personal Development Plan to the HCPC within six weeks of it being formulated.
5. Once a Personal Development Plan has been formulated and forwarded to the HCPC, you must update the HCPC about your progress towards achieving the aims set out in your Personal Development Plan every month.
The Order imposed today will apply from 6 June 2017.
This Order will be reviewed again before its expiry on 6 September 2017.
History of Hearings for Amira Alam
|Date||Panel||Hearing type||Outcomes / Status|
|15/06/2017||Conduct and Competence Committee||Review Hearing||Struck off|
|03/05/2017||Conduct and Competence Committee||Review Hearing||Conditions of Practice|
|06/06/2014||Conduct and Competence Committee||Review Hearing||Conditions of Practice|