Miss Nichola Taylor
Your fitness to practise as a Social Worker is impaired by reason of your physical and/or mental health.
Service and Proceeding in absence of the Registrant
1. The Panel was satisfied that notice of today’s hearing had been properly served on the Registrant in terms of rules 3 and 6 of the Conduct and Competence (Procedure) Rules 2003 and thereafter considered Ms Bass’s application to proceed in the Registrant’s absence. The Panel is aware that its discretion to proceed in absence is one which should be exercised with the utmost care and caution. In reaching its decision, the Panel has had regard to the HCPTS’s Practice Note on Proceeding in the Absence of the Registrant. The Panel has also taken account of the fact that this is a mandatory review and this order must be reviewed prior to its expiry on 22 December 2017. The Panel has had sight of a letter dated 15 September 2017 from the Registrant confirming that she will not be attending this hearing. There has been no request for an adjournment. The Panel is of the view that the Registrant has voluntarily absented herself and would be unlikely to attend at a future date, if the matter were adjourned. In these circumstances the Panel has agreed to proceed in her absence as it is satisfied that it is both in the public interest and the Registrant’s interest to do so.
Application for the hearing to be held in Private
2. Ms Bass applied for this review hearing to be heard in private under rule 10(1)(a) of the Conduct and Competence Procedure Rules 2003 on the grounds that the review related to the Registrant’s health. The Panel accepted the advice of the legal assessor and considered the HCPTS Practice Note on Conducting Hearings in Private. The Panel concluded that the right of the Registrant to protection of her private life and confidentiality of her health issues outweighed the general presumption of hearings being conducted in public.
Order: The Registrar is directed to extend the Conditions of Practice Order against the registration of Nichola Taylor, as varied below, for a further period of 12 months from the expiry of the existing order:
1. You must inform the HCPC if you take up employment as a Social Worker.
2. You must place yourself and remain under the supervision of a Senior Social Worker registered by the HCPC and supply details of your supervisor to the HCPC within 14 days of commencing employment as a Social Worker. You must attend upon that supervisor as required and follow his/her advice and recommendations.
3. In the event of taking up work as Social Worker, you must obtain a quarterly report from your supervisor about your ability to practise safely and effectively. These reports must be submitted to the HCPC for consideration by a future reviewing Panel.
4. You must provide the HCPC with details of your GP and current treating Consultant Psychiatrist within 28 days of the date of this decision. Thereafter you must authorise them to provide HCPC with information about your health.
5. The HCPC is directed to obtain reports from the Registrant’s GP and treating Consultant Psychiatrist for a future reviewing Panel. These reports should contain information about the Registrant’s current mental health and in particular her fitness to practice as a social worker without restriction, her compliance with her medication, her level of insight into her health condition and her ability to return to practice within a demanding social work environment.
6. You must cease practising immediately if advised to do so by your GP or Consultant Psychiatrist.
7. You must inform the following parties that your registration is subject to these conditions;
a) any organisation or person employing or contracting with you to undertake professional work;
b) any agency you are registered with or apply to be registered with (at the time of application);
c) any prospective employer (at the time of application).
History of Hearings for Miss Nichola Taylor
|Date||Panel||Hearing type||Outcomes / Status|
|30/11/2017||Health Committee||Review Hearing||Conditions of Practice|
|22/12/2016||Health Committee||Review Hearing||Conditions of Practice|
|22/06/2016||Health Committee||Review Hearing||Suspended|
|08/06/2015||Health Committee||Final Hearing||Suspended|