Mr Mark Higgins
Whilst registered as a Paramedic:
1. During the course of your employment as a Paramedic at South Central Ambulance Service NHS Trust, on 16 October 2015, you attended to Patient A during an emergency call and you:
a) did not conduct an appropriate diagnostic and/or monitoring procedure and treatment for Patient A, in that you:
i) did not check Patient A's pain response;
ii) did not place Patient A in a lateral position and then open the airway using the head tilt and chin lift;
iii) did not place a monitor or defibrillator on Patient A.
b) did not accurately and/or adequately complete the Electronic Patient Record (ePR), in that you:
i) did not record that oxygen had been administered;
ii) recorded the wrong time when treatment was administered;
iii) did not record the time you started Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR);
iv) did not record the DC Shock;
v) did not record the Rhythm Strip;
vi) did not record the treatment that you provided Patient A with.
c) did not recognise that Patient A was in the early stages of respiratory arrest.
d) did not recognise the following symptoms which Patient A had:
i) a pulse of 40 beats per minute;
ii) a state of bradycardia; and
iii) early stages of deterioration.
e) did not take leadership of Patient A's treatment;
f) did not communicate your treatment plan with Colleague A;
g) did not assess Patient A’s heart rhythm prior to putting defibrillator pads on them;
h) did not follow appropriate guidelines for a shockable rhythm, in that you did not reassess Patient A’s heart rhythm and/or feel his pulse;
i) did not maintain Patient A’s airway;
j) failed to recognise that Patient A was not breathing.
2. During the course of your employment as a Paramedic at South Western Ambulance Service NHS Trust, you attended a development Day on 21 June 2016 and you were unable to meet safe practice for paediatric advanced life support, in that you:
a) elected to intubate a conscious child with a gag reflex when it was not required;
b) did not reassess the patient’s airway;
c) did not check for signs of life;
d) did not deliver any rescue breaths.
3. During the course of your employment as a Paramedic at South Western Ambulance Service NHS Trust, you attended an assessment on 26 July
2016 and you:
a) were unable to achieve the standard to deliver a safe paediatric advanced life support assessment;
b) were unable to manage complex situations requiring paramedic interventions in a timely manner;
c) lacked certainty around drug administration impacting on timeliness of care;
d) lacked consistency of approach, particularly in more time-critical patients;
e) became fixated on tasks or actions at the possible detriment of the patient;
f) did not re-assess the patient after completing interventions.
4. The matters set out in paragraphs 1 -3 constitute misconduct and/or lack of competence.
5. By reason of your misconduct and/or lack of competence your fitness to practise is impaired.
No information currently available
No information currently available
No notes available
History of Hearings for Mr Mark Higgins
|Date||Panel||Hearing type||Outcomes / Status|
|23/04/2018||Conduct and Competence Committee||Final Hearing||Hearing has not yet been held|
|15/11/2017||Conduct and Competence Committee||Interim Order Review||Interim Conditions of Practice|
|18/08/2017||Conduct and Competence Committee||Interim Order Review||Conditions of Practice|
|09/06/2017||Investigating committee||Interim Order Review||Interim Conditions of Practice|
|20/12/2016||Investigating committee||Interim Order Application||Interim Conditions of Practice|