Michael A Small (ODP10031) has been suspended from the HCPC Register for a period of twelve months on the grounds of misconduct whilst employed as an operating department practitioner with University College London Hospitals.
A panel of the HCPTS heard that Mr Small behaved inappropriately and aggressively with a colleague, stating to Colleague B “Why won’t you go with me? You’ve slept with other members” or words to that effect.
The Panel further heard Mr Smalls called Colleague B a “silly f***ing cow” or words to that effect, and asked her if she was “taking the p*ss” or words to that effect.
Panel Chair Polly Clarke commented:
“The Panel is satisfied that a suspension order will protect the public and maintain the confidence of the public in the regulator and the profession. Such an order will give Mr Small an opportunity to develop his insight and thereby reduce the risk of repetition.”
The Panel ordered for the name of Michael A Small to be suspended from the HCPC Register for a period of twelve months.
Mr Small was neither present nor represented during the hearing.
Notes to Editors:
1. The Health and Care Professions Council is an independent regulator set up by the Health and Social Work Professions Order 2001. The HCPC keeps a register for 16 different health and care professions and only registers people who meet the standards it sets for their training, professional skills, behaviour and health. The HCPC will take action against professionals who do not meet these standards or who use a protected title illegally.
2. Full details of this hearing will be posted online here:
3. Information about the HCPC’s fitness to practise proceedings can be found on the HCPC website here: www.hcpc-uk.org/complaints
4. Anyone can contact us and raise a concern about a professional on our Register. This includes members of the public, employers, the police and other professionals. For more information visit www.hcpc-uk.org/complaints
5. The HCPC currently regulates the following 16 professions. Each of these professions has one or more ‘protected titles’. Anyone who uses one of these titles must register with the HCPC. To see the full list of protected titles please see www.hcpc-uk.org/aboutregistration/protectedtitles
Chiropodists / podiatrists
Hearing aid dispensers
Operating department practitioners
Prosthetists / orthotists
Social workers in England
Speech and language therapists
6. The HCPC regulates social workers in England. Social workers in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are separately regulated by the relevant Care Council in that country.
7. Registrants can appeal the panel’s decision. Appeals are made directly to the High Court in England or Wales, the Court of Session in Scotland or the High Court of Justice in Northern Ireland. Appeals must be made within 28 days of when the Notice of Decision and Order is served. The Panel’s order does not take effect until the appeal period has expired or the appeal has concluded.