Social worker Richard Anthony Williams (SW38273) has been struck off the HCPC Register following a review of a suspension order imposed on 11 August 2016.
A panel of the HCPTS heard that Mr Williams was originally suspended for a period of twelve months on the grounds of misconduct whilst employed as a residential care worker with South Gloucestershire Council.
The Panel further heard that Mr Williams original failings included calling Young Person 1 a “f**king coward” and stating that he had “snaked” another young person, or words to those effects. Mr Williams also encouraged Young Person 1 to take violent actions towards him.
Panel Chair Deborah Baldwin commented:
“In light of Mr Williams’s failure to acknowledge his wrongdoing, unwillingness to address the failings and his wish to leave the social work profession the Panel could see no useful purpose in extending the current period of suspension. The Panel also determined that it was not in the public interest or in Mr William’s own interest to prolong the regulatory proceedings.”
The Panel ordered for the name of Richard Anthony Williams to be struck off the HCPC Register.
Mr Williams was present but not represented at the hearing.
Notes to Editors:
1. The Health and Care Professions Council is an independent regulator set up by the Health and Social Work Professions Order 2001. The HCPC keeps a register for 16 different health and care professions and only registers people who meet the standards it sets for their training, professional skills, behaviour and health. The HCPC will take action against professionals who do not meet these standards or who use a protected title illegally.
2. The Health and Care Professions Tribunal Service (HCPTS) is the fitness to practise adjudication service of the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Although it is part of the HCPC, the distinct identity of the HCPTS seeks to emphasise that hearings are conducted and managed by independent Panels which are at arm's length from the HCPC. https://www.hcpts-uk.org/aboutus/roleofhcptribunalservice
3. Full details of this hearing will be posted online here: https://www.hcpts-uk.org/hearings/listing/201708311230-review_hearing-sw38273
4. Information about the HCPC’s fitness to practise proceedings can be found on the HCPC website here: www.hcpc-uk.org/complaints
5. Anyone can contact us and raise a concern about a professional on our Register. This includes members of the public, employers, the police and other professionals. For more information visit www.hcpc-uk.org/complaints
6. The HCPC currently regulates the following 16 professions. Each of these professions has one or more ‘protected titles’. Anyone who uses one of these titles must register with the HCPC. To see the full list of protected titles please see www.hcpc-uk.org/aboutregistration/protectedtitles
Chiropodists / podiatrists
Hearing aid dispensers
Operating department practitioners
Prosthetists / orthotists