David Bamford (ODP09913) has been struck off the HCPC Register on the grounds of conviction whilst registered as an operating department practitioner with the HCPC.
A panel of the HCPTS heard that Mr Bamford was convicted at the Crown Court at Bristol of theft and public nuisance. He was sentenced to two years imprisonment.
The Panel further heard that the charges arose when Mr Bamford stole controlled drugs, namely Fentanyl and Diamorphine, from the NHS Treatment Centre in Emersons Green, near Bristol where he was employed.
Panel Chair Sarah Baalham commented:
“The conduct which led to the conviction was serious, deliberate, reckless and abused both abuse of trust and dishonesty. In the Panel’s view, Mr Bamford’s actions are entirely incompatible with his continued presence on the Register, and members of the public would be shocked if he were to remain on it.”
The Panel ordered for the name of David Bamford to be struck off the HCPC Register.
Mr Bamford was neither present nor represented at the hearing.
Notes to Editors:
1. The Health and Care Professions Council is an independent regulator set up by the Health and Social Work Professions Order 2001. The HCPC keeps a register for 16 different health and care professions and only registers people who meet the standards it sets for their training, professional skills, behaviour and health. The HCPC will take action against professionals who do not meet these standards or who use a protected title illegally.
2. Full details of this hearing will be posted online here: https://www.hcpts-uk.org/hearings/listing/201711241000-final_hearing-odp09913
3. Information about the HCPC’s fitness to practise proceedings can be found on the HCPC website here: www.hcpc-uk.org/complaints
4. Anyone can contact us and raise a concern about a professional on our Register. This includes members of the public, employers, the police and other professionals. For more information visit www.hcpc-uk.org/complaints
5. The HCPC currently regulates the following 16 professions. Each of these professions has one or more ‘protected titles’. Anyone who uses one of these titles must register with the HCPC. To see the full list of protected titles please see www.hcpc-uk.org/aboutregistration/protectedtitles
Chiropodists / podiatrists
Hearing aid dispensers
Operating department practitioners
Prosthetists / orthotists
Social workers in England
Speech and language therapists
6. The HCPC regulates social workers in England. Social workers in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are separately regulated by the relevant Care Council in that country.