Michael McKechnie (ODP09703) has been suspended from the HCPC Register for a further twelve months following a substantive review of a suspension order originally imposed on 18 November 2016.
A panel of the HCPTS heard the Mr McKechnie was originally suspended for twelve months on the grounds of conviction.
The Panel further heard that Mr McKechnie was convicted at Hamilton Justice of the Peace Court of threatening or abusive behaviour and two counts of assault to injury. Mr McKechnie was also convicted at Hamilton Sherriff Court of stalking.
Panel Chair Clive Powell commented:
“The Panel is satisfied extending the suspension order will achieve the necessary degree of public protection and give Mr McKechnie a further opportunity to provide evidence to demonstrate that he has fully addressed the matters which brought him before the HCPC.”
The Panel ordered for the name of Michael McKechnie to be suspended from the HCPC Register for a further twelve months.
Mr McKechnie was present at the hearing and represented himself.
Notes to Editors:
1. The Health and Care Professions Council is an independent regulator set up by the Health and Social Work Professions Order 2001. The HCPC keeps a register for 16 different health and care professions and only registers people who meet the standards it sets for their training, professional skills, behaviour and health. The HCPC will take action against professionals who do not meet these standards or who use a protected title illegally.
2. Full details of this hearing will be posted online here:
3. Information about the HCPC’s fitness to practise proceedings can be found on the HCPC website here: www.hcpc-uk.org/complaints
4. Anyone can contact us and raise a concern about a professional on our Register. This includes members of the public, employers, the police and other professionals. For more information visit www.hcpc-uk.org/complaints
5. The HCPC currently regulates the following 16 professions. Each of these professions has one or more ‘protected titles’. Anyone who uses one of these titles must register with the HCPC. To see the full list of protected titles please see www.hcpc-uk.org/aboutregistration/protectedtitles
Chiropodists / podiatrists
Hearing aid dispensers
Operating department practitioners
Prosthetists / orthotists
Social workers in England
Speech and language therapists
6. The HCPC regulates social workers in England. Social workers in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are separately regulated by the relevant Care Council in that country.