Gary Keith Donald (SW29122) has been suspended from the HCPC Register for a period of nine months on the grounds of misconduct whilst employed as an agency social worker by Cumbria County Council.
A panel of the HCPTS heard that Mr Donald’s failings included not completing adequate case recordings in a timely manner for statutory visits that had taken place for 15 service users.
The Panel further heard that in relation to Service User 2 Mr Donald did not update the Child Sexual Exploitation risk assessment as directed.
Panel Chair Graham White commented:
“The Panel considered that not progressing cases expeditiously could have a negative emotional impact on service users now and in the future. There could be a risk of repetition of Mr Donald’s misconduct if he were permitted to practice as a social worker without restriction.”
The Panel ordered for the name of Gary Donald to be suspended from the HCPC Register for a period of nine months.
Mr Donald was neither present nor represented at the hearing.
Notes to editors
1. The Health and Care Professions Council is an independent regulator set up by the Health and Social Work Professions Order 2001. The HCPC keeps a register for 16 different health and care professions and only registers people who meet the standards it sets for their training, professional skills, behaviour and health. The HCPC will take action against professionals who do not meet these standards or who use a protected title illegally.
2. The Health and Care Professions Tribunal Service (HCPTS) is the fitness to practise adjudication service of the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Although it is part of the HCPC, the distinct identity of the HCPTS seeks to emphasise that hearings are conducted and managed by independent Panels which are at arm's length from the HCPC. https://www.hcpts-uk.org/aboutus/roleofhcptribunalservice
3. Full details of this hearing will be posted online
4. See information about the HCPC’s fitness to practise proceedings
5. Anyone can contact us and raise a concern about a professional on our Register. This includes members of the public, employers, the police and other professionals. For more information visit www.hcpc-uk.org/complaints
6. The HCPC currently regulates the following 16 professions. Each of these professions has one or more ‘protected titles’. Anyone who uses one of these titles must register with the HCPC. Full list of protected titles
- Arts therapists
- Biomedical scientists
- Chiropodists / podiatrists
- Clinical scientists
- Hearing aid dispensers
- Occupational therapists
- Operating department practitioners
- Practitioner psychologists
- Prosthetists / orthotists
- Social workers in England
- Speech and language therapists
7. The HCPC regulates social workers in England. Social workers in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are separately regulated by the relevant Care Council in that country.
8. Registrants can appeal the panel’s decision. Appeals are made directly to the High Court in England or Wales, the Court of Session in Scotland or the High Court of Justice in Northern Ireland. Appeals must be made within 28 days of when the Notice of Decision and Order is served. The Panel’s order does not take effect until the appeal period has expired or the appeal has concluded.