Mr William Cooper
Please note that the decision can take up to 5 working days to be uploaded onto the HCPTS website. Please contact one of our Hearings Team Managers via firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)808 164 3084 if you require any further information.
On 7 December 2016, whilst registered as a Physiotherapist and in respect of a physiotherapy session undertaken with Service User 1, you;
1) Did not undertake and/or record an assessment of the following red flag risks after Service User 1 presented with cervical spine pain:
a) drop attacks;
f) numbness of the face;
2) Did not act appropriately on red flag risks that were identified in your assessment of Service User 1:
a) Aggravating factors - deep breaths, coughing and sneezing;
b) Special questions - pain on coughing and sneezing;
3) Did not undertake and/or record an adequate assessment of Service User 1's pain, in that you;
a) did not assess and/or record the type of pain Service User 1 was experiencing;
b) did not assess and/or record if Service User 1 was experiencing night pain;
c) did not assess and/or record the pain pattern experienced by Service User 1 throughout the day;
4) Did not undertake and/or record an adequate objective assessment of Service User 1, in that you did not;
a) assess and/or record an assessment of palpation of the facet joints and/or the spinous processes;
b) assess and/or record an assessment of passive range of movement and/or muscle strength;
c) assess and/or record an assessment for vertebral artery insufficiency.
5) Did not record clinical reasoning, when undertaking the assessment of Service User 1, in respect of the following;
a) the structures that may be damaged;
b) the source of the pain and dysfunction;
c) the treatment plan for Service User 1.
6) Performed a thoracic spine manipulation at Grade 5:
a) without clinical justification and/or without recording clinical reasoning for the treatment.
b) and did not obtain and/or record Service User 1's consent to the treatment.
7) Did not assess and/or record assessing assessment of Service Users 1's symptoms after performing each of the following treatments:
a) Deep soft tissue massage to the trapezius muscles;
b) Cervico-thoracic junction distraction;
c) Grade 5 manipulation to the thoracic spine.
8) Did not discuss and/or record any short term goals and/or long term goals and/or objectives in respect of Service User 1's treatment.
9) Your actions described in Paragraphs 1-8 constitute misconduct and/or lack of competence.
10) By reason of your misconduct and/or lack of competence, your fitness to practise is impaired.
No information currently available
No information currently available
This is a conduct and competence committee final hearing taking place virtually from 5-8 October 2020 at 10:00am on day 1 and 09.30 am between days 2-4.
History of Hearings for Mr William Cooper
|Date||Panel||Hearing type||Outcomes / Status|
|05/10/2020||Conduct and Competence Committee||Final Hearing||Hearing has not yet been held|
|14/08/2020||Conduct and Competence Committee||Interim Order Review||Interim Conditions of Practice|
|13/02/2020||Conduct and Competence Committee||Interim Order Review||Interim Conditions of Practice|
|13/11/2019||Conduct and Competence Committee||Interim Order Review||Interim Conditions of Practice|
|13/08/2019||Conduct and Competence Committee||Interim Order Review||Interim Conditions of Practice|
|01/02/2019||Investigating Committee||Interim Order Review||Interim Conditions of Practice|
|15/08/2018||Investigating committee||Interim Order Review||Interim Conditions of Practice|
|17/05/2018||Investigating committee||Interim Order Review||Interim Conditions of Practice|
|20/11/2017||Investigating committee||Interim Order Application||Interim Conditions of Practice|