Mr Stephen J Rooney
Please note that the decision can take up to 5 working days to be uploaded onto the HCPTS website. Please contact one of our Hearings Team Managers via firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)808 164 3084 if you require any further information.
Whilst registered as a Paramedic with the Health and Care Professions Council:
1. On 29 January 2018, you reported for and commenced your shift whilst under the effects of alcohol.
2. On 26 March 2019 at Armagh Magistrates’ Court you were convicted of driving a motor vehicle on a road after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in your blood exceeded the prescribed limit, contrary to Article 16 (1) (a) of the Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1995.
3. The matter set out in paragraph 1 constitutes misconduct.
4. By reason of your misconduct your fitness to practice is impaired.
5. By reason of your conviction as set out in paragraph 2 your fitness to practise is impaired.
Following an appeal of the Panel's decision by the Professional Standards Authority, the three year Caution Order imposed by the Panel was substituted with a two year Conditions of Practice Order.
The Registrar is directed to annotate the HCPC Register to show that, for 2 years from the date that this Order takes effect ('the Operative Date"), you, Stephen Rooney, must comply with the following conditions of practice:
1. You must register with and remain under the care of your general practitioner and inform him or her that you are subject to these conditions.
2. You must authorise your general practitioner to provide the HCPC with information about your health and any treatment you are receiving.
3. You must keep your professional commitments under review and limit your professional practice in accordance with the advice of your general practitioner.
4. You must cease practising immediately if you are advised to do so by your general practitioner.
8. You must place yourself and remain under the supervision of a workplace supervisor, registered by the HCPC or other appropriate statutory regulator and supply details of your supervisor to the HCPC within one month of the Operative Date. You must attend upon that supervisor as required and follow their advice and recommendations.
9. Your supervisor shall provide a report to the HCPC in advance of any review of the conditions by a reviewing panel.
10. You must promptly inform the HCPC if you cease to be employed by your current employer or tak.e up any other or further employment.
11. You must promptly inform the HCPC of any disciplinary proceedings taken against you by your employer.
12. You must inform the following parties that your registration is subject to these conditions:
A. any organisation or person employing or contracting with you to undertake professional work;
B. any agency you are registered with or apply to be registered with (at the time of application); and
C. any prospective employer (at the time of your application).
13. You must allow the HCPC to share information with any organisation or person employing or contracting with you to undertake professional work.
14. You will be responsible for meeting any and all costs associated with complying with these conditions.
15. Any condition requiring you to provide any information to the HCPC is to be met by you sending the information by email to the relevant Case Manager and the Fitness to Practise inbox.
A Final Hearing of the conduct and competence committee took place from 18-20 January 2021 and a 3 year Caution Order was imposed. This Order has been appealed by the Professional Standards Authority and subsituted with a 2 year Conditions of Practice Order.
History of Hearings for Mr Stephen J Rooney
|Date||Panel||Hearing type||Outcomes / Status|
|18/01/2021||Conduct and Competence Committee||Final Hearing||Conditions of Practice|